Friday, August 20, 2010

WE SAT DOWN AND CHARTERED OUR DREAMS

I don’t know how it started


Was it the sand? Was it the splash of a wave?

Was it a whisper of malice?

Would we later condemn

Each other as devious fools?

Maybe it was the startlingly clear night sky

Or the sudden drop of temperature

And the huddling around the campfire;

What was it that you said?

We have moved around in different circles

And exchanged half-hearted words before

And now, you were estranged from them;

Some disagreement? (I would never know)

In the dark, I learnt to sing

In the shore, I learnt to conquer

My fear of the water and the night

And so we rambled on,

Little realizing how far we had

Deviated from our course.

We would find our separate way back

And the consciousness of it

Hurt so much more.

We would go back to school,

Go back to our so-called friends.

We would never so much as

Sit together again.

You’d join in the incessant chatter

About boys and gala events,

I would recede into my world of books.

Perhaps when we pass

The split second when our eyes meet

We will remember that by the campfire

We sat down and chartered our dreams,

And leave to speculation

How much more we could be.

No comments:

Post a Comment